September Meeting Minutes

NYC General Meeting Minutes

September 21, 2017

Call to order by Commodore Jim Rosaschi @ 7:01 PM

Introduction of New Guests: We had two new guests tonight: Mike & Tom.

Commodore, Jim Rosaschi:

US Sailing has a 4 day Yacht Club promotion. In the future we would like to have Nevada Yacht Club represented. Forgot to bring flyer.

Sail Training is this weekend.

Vice Commodore, John D’Acunto:

Sail Training is coming up in September, 23rd & 24th.  The following have volunteered:

·     Sharon – reading wind

·     Jim – parts of boat

·     Rich F – Prepare to sail, What to wear

·     Clay – How sails work, Cleat hitch, anchoring

·     Computer Bob – Tacking and jibing

·     Naomi – boating safety, women in sailing

·     Johnny

Still need help with knots, group activity and sailors for on the water training. Boats committed as of today:

·     Blew by You

·     Blown Away

·     Winsornaut

·     Relative Wind

·     J24

Please email Johnny at john@johndacunto.com or call him at 702-497-3902.  Also, get the word out to your friends.

 

 

Cruising Captain, Tim Ehrlich

We have found a location for the holiday party. Mimi & Coco’s is located at Lake Las Vegas. Date: December 7, 2017; Cocktails 6pm, Dinner 7pm, Awards and officer installation, 8:30pm – We need to guarantee 50 people. More details to follow.

We are looking for those interested in an advanced sail training program to take sailors to the next level. We are currently looking through the cost/benefits right now. Proposed: 2 boat class racing, 5 spots each boat, 6 on the water trainings, 6 races, cost $595 per person. Once course completed sailor can be certified to take out boats. This is a great opportunity for those without boats. The NYC is short on boats and this will give folds an opportunity to continue and be a part of the NYC. Need to work with the marina to possibly obtain discounted slip fees. We are still in the preliminary stages. All yacht clubs have training programs to grow people up in their fleet. 1st step: Boat expenses are covered!

There are still open spots for the Catalina Jazz Festival. See meetup for skipper information and details. Payment is to be made directly to the skipper.

Fleet Captain, Clay Ostrom:

Clay has a new PHRF book for SCYA – would like to create a board for PHRF review. Open discussion on floor. Why do we need PHRF certifications, we are the NYC. Discussions to continue

Next Race: Fall #2, October 7. Clay will be in Mexico with the Hobie fleet. Mike Cox will be on the race committee boat

Mike McElhaney has agreed to buff out the committee boat in exchange for race entry fees.

Treasurer, Lydia Brown – Absent, Treasurers report available

Secretary, Dena Williams

Copies of the treasurer’s report distributed. Copies of the August meeting minutes available for review. Motion on the floor to approve, motion passed.

Membership cards passed out, others mailed

Staff Commodore, Floyd White - absent

Naomi – discussion regarding feasibility of youth sailing program. There have been challenges. Not ready to give up yet. Possible name “Gunnel gals”

OLD BUSINESS: None

NEW BUSINESS:

Slate of New Officers presented via email from Floyd White

·       Commodore – Tim Ehrlich

·       Vice Commodore – Sharon Dunn

·       Treasurer – Lydia Brown

·       Fleet Captain – Clay Ostrom

·       Cruising Captain – Naomi Emmerson

·       Secretary – Mike Cox

No other nominations from the floor. Voting will take place at the October 19th general membership meeting.

The only bylaw changes will be the annual due increase from $50 to $75. Ten members must be present for quorum. Johnny will be running the next meeting as Jim will be out of town. Proxy votes are not allowed.

Our income sources are from memberships, sail training and racing fees.

Nick Dewey from NDOW (Nevada Dept of Wildlife) is involved with the Boy Scouts of America. There is a merit badge for sailing and they would like to partner up with the NYC to earn this badge. More details to follow.

November general membership meeting will be held on November 16, 2017

From the floor: Glen – Fall #1 has only 1 boat in A-fleet. Why don’t we abolish A-Fleet when there is not a complete 3 boat fleet?  Concern: Series racing. Can we change PHRF cutoffs to balance out the fleets? Can we have one start?  Tabled for further discussion.

Has the club ever looked into purchasing a “Mark Bot” for the club?

Race calendar is January to December

We held a raffle for multiple items:

NYC hats / NDOW swag

50/50